Update (August 2015): This site is no longer actively maintained (see AIDSTruth: Our work is done), but it contains useful information on the fallacious arguments and false claims that the small number of AIDS denialists continue to make. A good place to start reading is the page on debunking denialist myths.
This website presents the scientific evidence that HIV is the cause of AIDS and that the benefits of antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) outweigh the risks. The website was created by research scientists and community advocates engaged in the worldwide struggle against HIV/AIDS. As is stated in the Durban declaration, the evidence that AIDS is caused by HIV-1 or HIV-2 is clear-cut, exhaustive and unambiguous, meeting the highest standards of science. However, a few vocal people – AIDS denialists – refuse to acknowledge the facts, and continue to conduct a duplicitous propaganda campaign aimed at convincing people, including HIV-positive people and government health officials, that the virus is harmless or, in some extreme cases, non-existent, and that standard medical practice should be abandoned.
The purpose of this website is to debunk AIDS denialist arguments and prevent further harm being done by AIDS denialists to public health. In March 2006, after Harper’s Magazine published a feature article by AIDS denialist Celia Farber, a number of scientists and activists joined together to create a website for the purpose of countering AIDS denialist misinformation and debunking denialist myths, while providing truthful information about HIV and AIDS. The result is the AIDSTruth.org website.
The AIDSTruth.org website receives no funding from any source. The team members contribute to the website in their spare time, and decisions on content are made by the team members in the interest of global public health.
The following links provide more information about AIDSTruth.org:
- AIDSTruth.org Web Site Takes Aim at ‘Denialists’
- Reporting AIDS – Fighting AIDS Denialism (web video)
- Science Covers AIDSTruth.org
- Campaign against HIV/AIDS denial featured in Science
The AIDSTruth.org team
The team members (in alphabetical order) are:
- Dr. Nicholas Bennett, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital, Syracuse, New York
- Dr. Jeanne Bergman
- Dr. Brian Foley, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico
- Bob Funkhouser, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico
- Nathan Geffen, Treatment Action Campaign, Cape Town, South Africa
- Gregg Gonsalves, Yale University, USA and International Treatment Preparedness Coalition
- Dr. Eduard Grebe, Centre for Social Science Research, University of Cape Town, South Africa
- Dr. Bette Korber, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico
- Prof. Nicoli Nattrass, Director of the AIDS and Society Research Unit, University of Cape Town
- Dr. Ken Witwer, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
Past contributors to AIDSTruth.org:
- Martin Delaney, founding director of Project Inform, until his death in early 2009
- Richard Jeffreys, Basic Science Director, Treatment Action Group
- Prof. John Moore, Weill Medical College, Cornell University, New York